• prospective_students
  • new_current_students
  • international_students
  • faculty_staff
  • alumni

Admissions: Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know where and when the program is offered?

Please check The Graduate School & International Admissions list of Degrees & Programs for location and starting term information.

Can I apply for a master’s and doctoral degree at the same time?

The Graduate School & International Admissions does not accept applications for more than one level of a degree program at a time.

Can I have a double major?
  • Master level students may apply for a double major
  • Doctoral students may not apply for a double major.
How do I know if I can qualify for the WRGP program?

Residents of one of the 15 participating states (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming) are eligible to enroll in available WRGP programs outside of their home state at resident tuition rates.

Learn more about the WRGP residency and program requirements on the WRGP Webpage.

How do I qualify for CO residency?

A person who has been domiciled in Colorado for one year or more immediately preceding the start of an academic term may be eligible for in-state tuition classification.

A domicile is a person's true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation. It is the place where the student intends to remain and where he/she expects to return to when he/she leaves, without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere.

It differs from the notion of residence or mere physical presence within the state. A person may have several places of residence, but may have only one true domicile at a given time.

Evidence that a Colorado domicile has been established includes the observance of all mandatory duties imposed on domiciliaries. State requirements concerning auto registration, driver's license and payment of state income tax must be met for the full one-year period.

Please review the Residency Self Test form.

For any questions related to residency, contact janis.hooper@unco.edu@unco.edu.

How do I apply to get a teaching certificate/licensure?

Follow the same Application Process found on our Applying Webpage.


I have applied for admission to the Graduate School and International Admissions Office. How can I check my status?

Check the status of you application by visiting the Check Application Status Webpage.

If you have problems accessing your information online, please call or email the Graduate School and International Admissions Office.

We will be able to check the current status of your application and advise you of any other steps you need to take.

I would like to delay my admission. What should I do?

If you have not been admitted:

If you have been admitted:

  • Complete the Change of Term Form
  • Send a copy to the department and notify them of the semester you plan to start
I want to decline admission. What should I do?
  • Notify the GSIA Office in writing
    • Please let us know if you wish to have your file closed.
    • Your file will remain active for one (1) year if you indicate you do not want it closed
  • Send a copy to the department notifying them


I was admitted into a graduate program at UNC several years ago. How can I start again?

If it has been longer than one (1) year since you applied, please reapply.

If it has been shorter than 1 year, please contact Laura Hulsey at laura.hulsey@unco.edu or by phone (970) 351-1803.

I haven't been admitted but would like to change my major. What should I do?

If you have not been admitted or have been admitted but have not started classes, submit your request in writing to the GSIA Office or email your request to Kirsten Ranalli at kirsten.ranalli@unco.edu

Please include your:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Bear Number (student ID number)
Who gets the letters of recommendation?

The programs will receive the letters of recommendation.

Letters of recommendation sent to the Graduate School and International Admissions Office will be forwarded to the program(s) to which you are applying.

My Name has changed

Complete the Name/ID Form (pdf), and mail to the registrar's office:

University of Northern Colorado


Carter Hall 3002, Campus Box 50

Greeley, CO 80639

Fax: 970-351-1870

What is the contact information for the Graduate School and International Admissions Office?

Contact Information can be found on our Admissions Contact webpage


  • getstarted
  • apply_now
  • request_info
  • schedule_a_visit